Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

Bon Appetit Banh Mi

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pork-Meatball-Banh-Mi-356790
Banh Mi ("bun me") may be the best thing to come from colonialism.  In general, these eclectic subs are fantastic.  Inexpensive cuts of flavorful meat, fresh vegetables and a little heat on a lightly toasted roll.  Though these homemade Banh Mi can't compete with the sandwiches available for $2.50 in downtown Oakland, they offer an easy alternative to the meatball sandwich at home.
I followed the recipe fairly accurately.  The meatballs were savory, very moist, and though the basil was not perceptible the first night, it became more pronounced in the leftovers the next day.  There's no fishy taste despite the fish sauce, and the Sriracha adds more flavor than heat.  The only adjustment I'd make would be to skip the sugar.  I know that, like pork buns, a lot of Vietnamese meats are sweet, but these were too sweet.
I added some shredded romaine (I like my sandwiches crunchy) and more Sriracha to the sauce because, and I know this shreds my credibility, I forgot to buy jalapenos.  Regardless, the sauce as it was portioned, had way too much mayo and not enough flavor.
I could see making these for an outdoor barbecue--an unusual foil for hotdogs and hamburgers that is still neatly enclosed in a bun--however, I don't think I'll repeat this recipe for a dinner at home.  The cheap ones on International, with the cracked linoleum floors and imported durian products, are just too perfect and too cheap to waste my time on a lesser version. 

No comments:

Post a Comment